Also please see the Frequently Asked Questions for details on how the derby will run.
The following text is taken directly from the current brochure. Clarifications may be added in [square brackets]. Where the rules refer to “Fishing Guidelines,” “Weigh Stations,” “Schedule,” and the prize list, see the related material on this website.
RULES (PLEASE READ!)
1. Tickets. a) Derby tickets cost $40 per person ($42.50 online) for 1 or all 3 days. b) Again in 2016: Tickets must be purchased in advance. c) Participants must have a current Derby ticket prior to fishing. d) Each person on vessel must have a ticket, whether fishing or not and regardless of age. e) Ticket purchases are NONREFUNDABLE. Remember: This is a charity. f) All Derby ticket holders are eligible to fish, including officials.
2. Fishing. a) You must comply with “Fishing Guidelines” in this brochure. b) You are responsible for complying with all Washington State, Coast Guard, and other applicable rules. c) Entire Derby is Selective Fishery only (“clipped fin”).
3. Submitting fish. a) Only legal clipped-fin Chinook/Blackmouth salmon at least 22 inches long, submitted during Derby hours with all required data, are eligible for prizes. b) Only fish weighing six pounds or more will be considered for “Mystery Fish” prizes. Throw back those shakers! (If in doubt, submit your fish for weighing – as long as it’s legal.) c) Fish must be transported by boat (via water) to one of the five official Derby weigh stations/launch ramps. d) All fish are subject to inspection by Derby officials and/or fish biologists. e) All fish are returned immediately (no storage or display) unless you choose to donate a fish to the annual Derby Appreciation Dinner (thanks!).
4. Prizes. a) You (or a representative with your ticket) may claim prizes at the awards ceremony. b) You do NOT need to be present to win, but only IF your ticket is legible and you meet all requirements. c) Entrants can win more than one prize. d) Winners of “ladder prizes” (based on weight) choose among all remaining ladder prizes (subject to age restrictions). Absent winners receive the next highest-value prize that can be sent in an envelope. Undeliverable prizes are distributed as officials see fit. e) First fish recorded at any weight wins a tie; coin toss decides identical times. f) By entering the Derby and/or entering to win the 2016 Derby Series Grand Prize Boat, each angler or participant acknowledges and agrees that his or her contact information may be made available to Mercury Marine and NMTA; and each entrant further acknowledges that he or she may be contacted by Mercury Marine or NMTA. Anglers and participants who prefer not to be contacted by sponsors should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org advising the Northwest Salmon Derby Series not to share their contact information with third parties. g) Award decisions are final, regardless of errors. Any preliminary standings are for information only. h) At awards ceremony, 50% of cash raffle proceeds go to one or more winner(s); for example, if $600 is collected, $300 will be raffled as one or more prizes. Officials will announce the total collected and the value of each prize; minimum prize is $100. Raffle tickets are only sold at ceremony; ticket holders must be over 21 and must be present to win. i) Tax information is required for prizes worth $600 or more; such prizes may be sent by mail shortly after the Derby.
5. Responsibility. a) You participate in the Derby at your own risk. You agree to hold Gardiner Salmon Derby Association, volunteers, and sponsors harmless for any damages, and you waive all claims against them. In particular, by choosing to participate, you agree that fishing is inherently dangerous and you accept responsibility for your own safety and for any damage that may occur. b) This Derby is independent of the Northwest Marine Trade Association (sponsor of Northwest Salmon Derby Series), which is responsible for all Series matters including boat giveaways. c) The Derby is not responsible for errors or accidents, nor for any announced or unannounced changes in rules, schedules, or policies. d) Derby officials have final word on any disputes about Derby rules, awarding of prizes, or other Derby matters. Please remember that we are all volunteers supporting a charity. e) If you observe a crime, report it to police or Coast Guard. If you observe a violation of Derby Rules, report it to Derby officials via VHF channel 68. Derby officials may ban violators, withhold prizes, or impose other remedies.